Essential RV Kitchen Accessories
RV kitchen accessories are very important when living in a motor vehicle. It doesn’t matter if you’ll be living in it for a brief period such as in camping and vacations or living in it full-time. To be able to live in an RV and experience the amenities of a real home, you will need kitchen accessories.
If you’ve had experience with moving, you’ll realize that the most space-taking of all the things is not the appliances or the furniture, it’s the accessories, the little things we never knew we owned. In a real home, we have the luxury to have random things hidden in drawers or cabinets but in an RV, you need to have your things at a minimum. This is why accessories must be well-thought of.
Common among RVs is that the kitchen is small. It’s a recreational vehicle and we can’t expect a fully furnished kitchen to fit in a vehicle. With the important appliances taking a big space already, we can only fit a few additional accessories.
When looking for kitchen accessories that can be used in an RV, there’s two things you need to keep in mind. You will be needing accessories for cooking and storage. Anything else that doesn’t fall in these two categories is not essential. You have to keep in mind the little space you have to work with.
RV kitchen accessories for cooking
When shopping for kitchen accessories that you will be putting inside the RV, take only those essential to you, things you really need to have to be able to make a meal. Appliances such as refrigerator and microwave or stove tops are a given, every RV must have one. Listed below are accessories for cooking.
- Knives. You don’t need a professional set of knives. 3 or 4 knives are sufficient, enough to do the slicing, cutting and peeling.
- Cutting Board. It’s preferable to have an over-the-sink or a pull-out cutting board. You only use it once in a while then need a quick way to store it.
- Cookware. In terms of quality, cast iron would be a good choice as it is heavy-duty and can be used on top of grills when worse comes to worst. A pot of cooking something with soup and another for frying would be sufficient. 2 to 4 pieces of cookware is enough since you won’t be cooking for a lot of people anyway.
The following are accessories for storage and organization. Working in a small space, you’ll have to keep everything organized to make it fit.
- Plates and bowls. Living on paper plates is unacceptable. When buying plates and bowls, find a set that can easily be stacked.
- Folding baskets or stackable baskets. For storing fruits or vegetables, bottles, chips or other foods that will be consumed easily. Folding or stackable ones can easily be kept.
- Racks and hooks. These are important to save space. Add hooks on cabinet doors or additional racks inside cabinets to serve as a divider.
Mentioned above are just a few RV kitchen accessories that one must have to enjoy a real kitchen despite the small space.